For a while now I have wanted to try Tiramisu however the complexity of it all and my laziness never allowed me to do it. Since I have some time off work I thought there was no better time to try it. My brother doesn’t drink alcohol and my sister-in-law is breastfeeding, so I made this an alcohol free affair. If you would like to use alcohol, you can add 1/2 cup of Marsala (if you can find a vegan one) to the coffee. This is an impressive cake to whip out at a dinner party plus it’s delicious!
- 2 teaspoons of egg replacer
- 2/3 cup water
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 2 cups of soy milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups plain flour
- 6 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups of strong coffee, cooled
- 1 tub of Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese
- 1 carton of Soyatoo Topping Cream
- 1/3 cup soy milk
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cocoa for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Grease four 210mm (8 inch) springform baking tins.
- In a small cup or bowl, combine the water and egg replacer with a fork and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the oil, soy milk, salt, sugar and vanilla and mix well.
- Add the egg replacer mix.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour and baking powder.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and mix until no lumps remain. Small lumps are okay.
- Pour the the mixture evenly into the greased pans.
- Bake in the oven for about 15-20 minutes or until a skewer can be inserted and comes out clean. They will not brown on top when cooked so keep checking!
- Set the cakes aside to allow them to cool completely.
- While the cakes are cooling, prepare the coffee in a shallow bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the soy milk and caster sugar with a fork and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the Tofutti and Soyatoo. Add the vanilla and soy milk mixture and combine well.
- Clean one of the springform tins and regrease it.
- Now you will need to create layers in the sprinform tin by first soaking one of the cakes in the coffee, placing in the tin then adding a layer of cream mixture and dusting with cocoa.
- Repeat this process with the rest of the ingredients, ensuring you leave a little more cream for the top of the cake.
- Place in the fridge to chill for at least three hours before serving.