“It looks just like a real omelette…OH it tastes just like a real omelette too!” That’s what my mum said as she took a bite of the Cheese & Tomato Omelette I whipped up this morning. I had a reader ask recently if I could come up with an omelette recipe and she would love me forever, I hope this does the trick. You can make so many variations on this theme, the egg-free possibilities are endless!
- 150 grams silken tofu
- 1/4 cup soy milk
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small tomato, diced
- 1/4 red onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup grated Cheezly (I used the White Cheddar and Mozzarella varieties)
- Fresh basil
- In a bowl, mix tofu vigorously with a fork until smooth.
- Add the soy milk and mix before adding the flour.
- Throw in the onion powder, garlic powder, nutritional yeast, mixed herbs, salt and pepper.
- Grease a frypan with olive oil spray.
- Pour in the tofu mixture, swirling the frypan with the handle to cover the entire base of the pan.
- Cook on high heat for about 1 minute before adding the remaining ingredients to one half of the omelette.
- Allow the omelette to continue to cook until it begins to bubble and the edges begin to brown.
- Now the tricky part. Try your very best to fold the empty half over the filled half of the omelette. If it breaks a little, don’t fret, this will be concealed later.
- Allow to cook for another few minutes before placing a plate on top of the frypan. Place one hand on the plate and keep one hand on the frypan handle. Then flip, so that the frypan is now on top.
- Remove the frypan and you should have a delicious golden omelette!
- Serve hot with toast.