Remember that thing you used to get at barbecues? You know, the thing with the potato and the bacon and it was all creamy and stuff? POTATO BAKE, THAT’S IT! This classic Australian dish is now veganised, thanks to some wonderful substitutes. Perfect to take along to a dinner party or barbecue but just as tasty to have as a meal at home.
- 10 potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced.
- 1 1/2 cartons (450mL) Soyatoo Cooking Cream
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 block Cheezly (I used mozzarella), grated
- 1/2 cup facon bits
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 180°C and grease a large oven-proof dish.
- On a medium heat, cook Soyatoo and soy milk until heated through.
- Spread out half of the potatoes evenly on in the dish, sprinkle with half of the onion, pour half the cream mixture over the top and add salt and pepper. Add another layer using the remaining potato, onion, cream mixture, salt and pepper.
- Cover with foil and bake in the oven for an hour. Once potato is tender, remove from the oven.
- Sprinkle facon and Cheezly over the top. Cook uncovered for a further 20-30 minutes.
- Serve hot with salad or vegetables!