Difficulty: Easy- Medium
It’s a public holiday in Newcastle today because of the Newcastle Regional Show. To be honest, I don’t know anybody who is going and I am unsure as to why I get the day of work for it. I’m not going to argue though, a 3 day weekend means I have plenty of time to finally unpack my boxes from moving and of course cook!
As most carnival treats are laden with animal products, I decided to make my own Toffee Nut Popcorn. Popcorn is a fun snack that you can easy adapt to make new and exciting flavours, something I intend on doing and posting on here!
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 1/2 cup Nuttelex
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1/3 cup granulated nuts
- In a large saucepan, heat the vegetable oil.
- Add the popcorn in a single layer and cover, occasionally shaking the saucepan.
- Once the popping begins to slow down, remove from the heat.
- In a smaller saucepan, bring the Nuttelex, brown sugar and golden syrup to the boil.
- When it starts to bubble, turn down the heat until it starts to thicken.
- In a large bowl, combine the popcorn and toffee mixture.
- Pour in the nuts and mix well.
- Continue to mix the popcorn as it cools so it doesn’t stick together.
- Serve when it has cooled down and popcorn is crunchy.