I used to love a good Caesar Salad but boy, they’re a vegan’s worst nightmare; chicken, bacon, creamy dressing stuffed with anchovies and parmesan to top it all off. Luckily, with all of the wicked-dope substitutes flying around these days, this dreamy salad is back on the menu!
- 4 sweet and sour pickles
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise (I use Praise Light)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 of a breadstick
- Olive oil spray
- Mixed herbs
- 1 bunch cos lettuce
- 1/4 red onion, finely sliced
- 4 sweet and sour pickles, finely sliced
- 1/2 packet soy nuggets
- 1 packet soy bacon rashers
- 1/4 block Cheezly (use a hard one like cheddar)
- To make the dressing, blitz the pickles, capers and garlic in a food processor before adding the remaining ingredients and processing until smooth.
- For the croutons, thinly slice the baguette and spray with oil. Sprinkle on the mixed herbs and salt before grilling until golden. Repeat this step for the other side.
- Rinse, dry and shred the lettuce and toss through the pickles and onion.
- Slice the soy bacon into thin strips and scatter haphazardly onto the grill tray. Grill until crisp and set aside.
- Grill the soy nuggets until golden brown.
- Scatter the soy nuggets over the lettuce mixture, drizzle over the dressing, grate the Cheezly before finishing with the croutons and soy bacon.