Don’t let the picture fool you, this dish is DELICIOUS and one of my all-time favourites for Christmas lunch. Mum says it’s so easy she couldn’t believe anybody would even want a recipe but the easiest recipes can be the best! You can get the mock duck breast from Asian groceries or your local mock meat emporium. The grocer I go to has this brownish looking one and also a reddish looking one, go the brown one for this recipe. I know I’ve been saying I’d post a guide to mock meats, and I will, it’s just taking a little longer to compile than I expected… Let’s try for 2012 ay?
- 1 cup water
- 3 dried shitake mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 packet of mock duck, thawed and sliced into strips
- Enough of your favourite vegan gravy powder to make 4 cups of gravy
- Overnight, soak the shitake mushrooms in the water. Squeeze out all of the liquid from the mushrooms into the water. Discard the mushrooms and set the liquid aside.
- In a large wok, heat the oil and add the “duck”. Heat until crisp and brown before removing from the heat and keeping warm
- Using the same wok you used to cook the “duck”, put together your gravy using the shitake liquid.
- Once the gravy is ready, stir through the “duck” and serve hot with vegetables and/or salad.