It looks like summer has finally hit, which means it’s time for more salads! The salad is nice and simple to make way for the star of the show; the crusted tofu! With a slightly cheesy and herby twist, this crispy tofu really livens up any basic salad. I’ve included the recipe for my Wholegrain Mustard, Lemon and Agave dressing as well, that’s just how nice I am. You don’t necessarily have to use this tofu in a salad either, serve it wit vegetables or couscous or rice or with some sauce on its own, it’s really that good!
- 1 500gram block hi-protein firm tofu
- 3/4 cup soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons dried mixed herbs
- 2 tablespoons Parmezano (if not available, nutritional yeast will do)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 handfuls rocket
- 1 1/2 cups baby beets, cut in half
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 red onion, sliced finely
- 1 lebanese cucumber, julienned
- 1/3 cup macadamia nuts
- 1 tablespoon seeded mustard
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Cut the tofu into chunks, you can either make small cubes or larger pieces- I trust you.
- Mix together the soy milk and apple cider vinegar in a shallow bowl, set aside.
- In another shallow bowl or dish, combine the breadcrumbs, herbs, Parmezano, garlic powder, onion powder and salt. Mix well.
- One by one, coat your tofu pieces with the soy milk before transferring to the breadcrumb mixture. Coat well with the crumbs and then place on the baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for about 15-20 minutes before turning the tofu to bake the other side for another 10 minutes or so. It won’t brown too much, don’t stress if it doesn’t!
- While the tofu is baking, combine the salad ingredients either in a large bowl or on individual plates.
- In a blender or food processer, whizz up the mustard, lemon juice, olive oil and agave. Dressing is done!
- Add the tofu to the salad ingredients, mix through and drizzle with the dressing.
- Chow down.