This salad has been made in my family for a few years now, with a couple of alterations being made each time. I’ve made it for people who don’t particularly like tofu before and have had them ask for the recipe! It’s a great accompaniment to any meal or as a larger serving can be a meal of its own. The crunchy noodles and shallots compliment the softness of the tofu and make for a lovely summer or springtime treat!
- 1 350gram block tofu
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup kecap manis
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 large handfuls baby spinach leaves
- 1 small green capsicum, sliced into strips
- 1 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup crispy noodles
- 1/4 cup fried shallots
- Cut up tofu into small, 1cm cubes.
- Place soy sauce, kecap manis, garlic and ginger in a bowl and mix well.
- Place the tofu and marinade into a container and gently tip the container so the tofu is covered.
- Place in the fridge for at least 2 hours, tipping the container every so often.
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line a tray with baking paper.
- Spread the tofu out on the tray, let a little bit of the marinade come out as well.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Place the spinach leaves on a serving platter and sprinkle with the onion and capsicum.
- Gently place the tofu on top before adding the noodles and shallots.
- Use a little of the marinade as a dressing and serve immediately.