Bringing my soul food series to a close is the delightfully comforting peach cobbler. Cobbler is one of those soul food desserts that just cannot be beat and I was surprised by not only the taste but the simplicity of putting it all together. Serve this one with a whipped or ice cream and you’ve got a bitchin’ winter warmer on your hands.
- 3 cups tinned peaches, drained
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Nuttelex
- 1/3 cup soy milk
- Preheat oven to 180°C and grease a rectangular oven dish.
- Pour the peaches into the bottom of the dish evenly.
- Combine the first lot of brown sugar, flour cinnamon and nutmeg, sprinkle over the top of the peaches and bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine the remaining dry ingredients before rubbing in the Nuttelex until the mixture is crumbly.
- Stir in the soy milk and vanilla to form a dough, add extra flour if necessary.
- Place the dough in lumps over the peaches (get some good coverage) and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden.
- Serve with ice cream.