Makes about 12
Corn bread is an essential part of any soul food meal, so I decided to make these hush puppies. Hush puppies are deep fried corn balls, which can be served as an accompaniment to any dish and perfectly soak up any flavours floating around on your plate.
- Oil for deep frying
- 1 teaspoon egg replacer
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 cups polenta
- 2/3 cup plain flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup soy milk
- Heat the oil in a deep fryer or pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg replacer and water.
- Combine the polenta and flour in a large bowl before adding the baking soda, salt, onion powder and garlic powder.
- Mix in the egg replacer and continue to stir while gradually adding the soy milk.
- The batter should be quite thick. If it’s too thick, add a little more soy milk, if it’s too thin add more polenta.
- Drop spoonfuls of batter into the oil and cook for about 5-8 minutes.
- The hush puppies will rise to the surface when ready.
- Drain, sprinkle with salt and serve.