There are some weekly markets near where I work and they always have the most amazing looking produce. I noticed some rhubarb that was just begging to be baked into something so I decided to make a crumble because it’s delicious and easy. To my delight it’s getting kind of wintery in Newcastle, so I decided to make this heartwarming dessert to celebrate.
- 1 bunch (about 6 sticks) rhubarb
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup Nuttelex, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon sultanas
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Rinse and chop the rhubarb before throwing in a saucepan with the caster sugar. Place on medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring regularly. Pour evenly into 4 ramekins.
- In a bowl combine the oats and brown sugar.
- Pour in the melted Nuttelex and vanilla and mix well.
- Evenly spoon the oat mixture onto the rhubarb.
- Sprinkle with sultanas and bake for about 20-30 minutes or until crumble becomes crisp.
- Serve hot with custard or soy ice cream!