When you think of soul food, you immediately think of fried chicken, which isn’t something easily veganised. I think I’ve come pretty close to hitting the nail on the head with this one though; the skewers give each piece a little handle to hold, reminiscent of a drumstick and the combination of spices make this one tasty treat. Because of their size, these are great little morsels to serve at a party or gathering as well.
- Oil for deep frying
- Wooden skewers
- 1 packet, Lamyong Soy Nuggets (or whatever mock chicken you prefer)
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Leave out the soy nuggets to thaw completely.
- Cut the wooden skewers in half and heat the oil in either a deep fryer or pan.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the soy milk and vinegar. Whisk with a fork and set aside to curdle.
- In another shallow bowl or container, combine the flour, salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder.
- Thread three soy nuggets onto each skewer, leaving enough skewer to have a little handle.
- Dip each skewer into the soy milk mix, then the flour mix before adding to the oil to deep fry.
- Fry for about 8 minutes before draining.
- Serve with barbecue sauce.