It’s been at least five years since I’ve eaten a scroll and I have thought about making them many times since becoming vegan. I finally bit the bullet and decided to make my first batch with delightful results. I’ll be making many different variations in the future however I’m starting it off with the pizza scroll. A bakery favourite stuffed with tomato, facon and your favourite vegan cheese. Enjoy these warm or pop them in your lunch box as a awesome midday treat.
- 2 1/2 cups plain flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup Nuttelex
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1/4 cup tomato pasta sauce
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 1/4 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup facon bits
- 3/4 cup grated vegan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and line a baking tray.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl before adding the salt.
- Rub the Nuttelex into the flour until evenly distributed and slowly add the soy milk while stirring to form a dough.
- Tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and roll out to an approximate 40cm x 30cm rectangle.
- Spread the pasta sauce evenly over the dough before evenly scattering the garlic, tomato, onion, facon and most of the vegan cheese.
- From the shorter side, firmly roll the the dough to create a log and slice into eight even pieces.
- Press down very gently on each disc and place on the baking tray before sprinkling a little more vegan cheese on top.
- Place in the oven for about 15 minutes or until the vegan cheese has melted and the dough has browned.
- Serve warm and enjoy!