Cupcakes are good food all year round but come Christmas time you can make ’em extra festive. Poppin’ a teensy candy cane on top of these babies instantly gives them a festive feel and are wonderful as edible gifts or a Christmas gathering.
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 1/3 cups plain flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons red food colouring
- 3/4 tub Tofutti Better than Cream Cheese, make sure it’s real cold
- 1/4 cup Nuttelex (or any vegan margarine), this has to be cold too
- 1 teaspoon peppermint essence
- 3 cups icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a cupcake tray with liners.
- Whisk together the soy milk and apple cider vinegar, allow to curdle for about five minutes before adding the oil and caster sugar.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and baking powder before slowly adding the wet ingredients. Some lumps are okay but get out as many as possible.
- Add the food colouring, you may want to add more or less depending on how vivid you want the red to be. You may also cut back on the cocoa if you want it super vibrant.
- Fill the baking cups 3/4 of the way to the top and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool.
- To make your frosting, simply use an electric mixer to combine the cream cheese and Nuttelex before adding the essence and icing sugar. The icing should be quite stiff, add more icing sugar if it’s not.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, frost your cupcakes and place a mini candy cane on top.