As you all know, I’ve been on a health-kick. I’ve been focussing on that pretty heavily for the last month so sorry for the lack of posts. I’m sure you’ll forgive me once you try this recipe. It’s surprising how inventive you get when you’re cutting down on calories, I’ve been doing a lot of experimenting. This tasty dish uses jackfruit as the “meat” with a bunch of other nutritious elements thrown in there too. Make sure you get the young jackfruit in brine, the ripened fruit will not work in this. Ew.
- 1 can young green jackfruit
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup kidney beans (cooked)
- 1/4 cup corn kernels
- 1/3 red capsicum, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup beef style stock
- 4 slices corn mountain bread
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 red chilli
- 2 lime wedges
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Drain and squeeze the jackfruit before breaking it up into shreds and placing in a large bowl.
- Add the spices and mix through the jackfruit until well combined.
- Add a small amount of oil to a large frypan and add the garlic and onion. Cook for a couple of minutes before adding the jackfruit.
- Throw in the beans, corn and capsicum and add in the tomato paste and stock. Combine well.
- Allow to cook for another 10-15 minutes, occasionally stirring.
- In the meantime, cut the mountain bread into small pieces and grill until lightly toasted and crisp.
- Serve the jackfruit mix with a bunch of the chips and serve with avocado, fresh chilli and a wedge of lime.