Makes 2 large or 4 small burritos
All week I had been craving burritos but no store-bought burrito was going to satisfy my hunger. The long weekend was the perfect opportunity to make them. Soft homemade tortillas, filled with smokey pan-fried tofu, and finished off with cheesy cashew chipotle sauce. The fact I only made these for myself seems like a little bit of a waste but boy, I do not regret it one bit.
- 1 300 gram block firm tofu
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup warm water
Cheesy Cashew Chipotle Sauce
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 – 1 chipotle pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2-3/4 cup soy milk
- 1/4 red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- Bunch parsley or coriander
- Fresh lime
- 1/2 cup grated vegan cheese
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- Start by making the marinade for the smokey tofu by combining the soy sauce, liquid smoke and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cut the tofu into 1cm cubes and add to a plastic container with the marinade. Allow to marinate in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Once marinated, pan fry until brown.
- Next, make the tortillas by sifting the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.
- Add the oil and warm water before combining into a dough. Roll into a ball and allow to rest for an hour.
- Separate the dough into 2 or 4 smaller balls.
- Dust a clean surface with flour and roll out each ball of dough into circles about a quarter of a centimetre thick.
- Heat some olive oil in a large pan and on medium-high, cook each tortilla until golden spots appear on one side before flipping over until the other side does the same.
- Now it’s time to make the sauce. Start by adding the cashews to a saucepan and fill with water. Bring to the boil and boil for 15 minutes.
- Drain the cashews and combine with nutritional yeast, chipotle, cayenne, salt and soy milk.
- Blend until smooth before heating in a saucepan or microwave.
- Fill the middle of each tortilla with rice, tofu, cabbage, a squeeze of lime juice, red onion, a sprig of coriander or parsley, vegan cheese and the cheesy chipotle sauce.
- Fold in the sides of the tortilla before wrapping the ingredients in tightly.
- Serve immediately.