As a part of my health kick, I’ve been trying to eat less soy so I needed to come up with something else to add to stir fry. Since I was going to be using chili and basil, I thought the perfect thing to flesh out this dish would be eggplant. Meaty enough to replace tofu but still filling and tasty.
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, roughly chopped
- 1 fresh chilli, finely chopped
- 1 small red capsicum, chopped
- 1 small green capsicum, chopped
- 2 tablespoons kecap manis
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- Squeeze lemon juice
- Handful fresh basil
- 1/4 cup cashews
- Cut the eggplant into 2cm x 2cm chunks and place into a colander. Cover with salt and allow to sit.
- Heat some olive oil in a wok before adding the garlic and red onion.
- Rinse off the eggplant and allow to drain on paper towel.
- Add the eggplant to the wok and cook for 5-7 minutes until eggplant starts to soften.
- Add the capsicum, before adding the kecap manis, ginger and lemon juice.
- Tear up the basil and stir through with the cashews before serving.