This is the perfect winter salad. Seriously. It’s pretty healthy, filling and totally tasty which is everything you want in a meal, right? You don’t need to use these exact ingredients, just use it as a guide and chuck in whatever you have lying around that you think will work. Just keep it simple, that’s the key.
- 1 small parsnip
- 1 medium beetroot
- 1 medium white sweet potato
- 1 small red onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- Spray olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 bunch baby cos lettuce
- Handful beetroot leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Squeeze lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 200°C with a lined baking tray.
- Wash the root vegetables thoroughly and chop into 2cmx2cm chunks.
- Keep the beetroot separate from the rest of the vegetables so they don’t stain. Next you need to get the ball rolling by either par boiling or microwaving the root vegetables. Microwaving is the way to go if you’re like me and can’t be bothered waiting for them to boil!
- Remove the hot tray carefully from the oven and spread the vegetables on the tray, add the garlic and onion while also keeping the beetroot separate on the tray.
- Spray with olive oil, sprinkle with cayenne and bake for 25 minutes or until brown and slightly crisp on the outside.
- Tear up the cos lettuce and beetroot leaves and add to a bowl. Scatter with the baked vegetables, drizzle with the oil and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Add pine nuts, salt and pepper before serving.