Just like vegan food, healthy food doesn’t have to be boring and I’m learning that every day on my health kick. This one is about 300 calories for a large serving and trust me, it’s filling! You can serve it with rice and/or roti but I just have it solo, it doesn’t need anything else. Plus it’s gluten free, woo!
- 1 cup yellow split peas
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1/2 can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (omit if you’re a bit of a chilli wimp)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- Vegan yoghurt and parsley to serve (optional)
- In a saucepan, bring the split peas, water and stock cube to the boil. Make sure you’re stirring frequently so it doesn’t stick.
- After about 15 minutes add the diced tomato and spices. Continue to simmer and stir.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat the oil before frying off the onion and garlic for about 5 minutes.
- Add to the split peas and cook for a further 5 minutes. If you need to add more water do so at this stage and cook until water is absorbed.
- Before serving, add the salt to taste before topping with yoghurt and parsley.