Since I’m heading off to the US in less than 3 weeks, I thought it was time to prepare myself for the culinary delights that are in store. Cheeseburgers and pizzas are two things that spring to mind when I think of American fare so what better way to get ready than to combine the two and make a righteous cheeseburger pizza?!
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 3.5 grams dry yeast (half a sachet)
- 1 1/2 cups pizza flour (plus a little extra)
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein (TVP)
- 1 beef style stock cube
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 tomato sauce (plus extra)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/3 cup sliced pickles
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup vegan cheese (Cheezly or Notzarella work best)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- To make the base, start off by mixing together the warm water and yeast in a large bowl. Once the yeast has dissolved, sift in the flour gradually while stirring.
- As the dough starts to come together, add the olive oil and salt and continue to knead in the bowl before kneading on a floured surface until the dough is stretchy and forms a smooth ball.
- Pour a little oil in a large clean bowl and roll the ball of dough around in it before covering the bowl with cling wrap and leaving to rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a medium sized bowl, add the TVP and crumble in the stock cube before covering with boiling water and mixing through.
- Once the water has been absorbed, fry the garlic and TVP in a pan for about 7 minutes before setting aside.
- On a floured surface, knead the dough for a further few minutes and bring into a ball.
- Roll the dough out into a circle, flipping over every once in a while, until about .5cm thick.
- Pop the tomato sauce and paste into the middle of the base and smooth out to the edges of the base.
- Add half of the cheese to the base before throwing on the TVP, the rest of the cheese, pickles and onion.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes or until cheese has melted and the edges start to brown.
- Add a swirl of tomato sauce and finish off with a sprinkle of sesame seeds before serving.