Makes about 24 cookies
Making cookies around this time of year is such a fun thing to do, especially with friends or kids and super especially if your friends are kids. Don’t stress if you can’t get your hands on a jam tart mould, you can pick them up pretty cheap on eBay, otherwise just use something round to cut out shapes and make a slight imprint in the middle with your thumb to fill.
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine (I use Nuttelex)
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- Egg replacer, equivalent of one egg made as per instructions
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons custard powder
- 4 tablespoons corn flour
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup strawberry jam (or any other jam you like)
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Cream the margarine, sugar, egg mix and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Sift in the flour and mix well until a dough begins to form.
- Wrap the dough in cling wrap and place in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Dust a work surface lightly with flour and roll out the dough to a 5mm thickness.
- Using the mould, cut out the cookies and lay 2cm apart on the baking trays. Continue to collect and roll out the remaining dough until all is used.
- With a teaspoon, put a drop of jam in the dent of each cookie.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until cookies start to become golden.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes on the tray before cooling completely on a rack before serving.