Makes one large pizza
If there’s one thing I learned in America, it’s that there’s no shame when it comes to some carb on carb action (I knew I liked that place for a reason). I’ve brought that mindset back with me and I’m letting it linger for the duration of the festive season before I take it all back and hit the gym like there’s no tomorrow*.
*Don’t hold me to the gym part.
- 1 homemade pizza base (or a store-bought one if you’re feeling lazy)
- 2 cups macaroni
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked for 3 hours)
- 2 cups soy milk
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 1 chicken style stock cube
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and prepare a baking tray.
- Cook the macaroni according to the packet instructions and set aside.
- Chuck the cashews, soy milk, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, stock, garlic, cornflour, nutritional yeast and salt and pepper in a blender and blend until very smooth.
- Transfer to a saucepan and cook on medium-high, stirring constantly until it thickens (at least 10 minutes).
- Add the sauce to the macaroni and combine well (don’t make it too saucy, you may have some sauce left over for other fun things).
- Spread a layer of mac n cheese onto the pizza base and top with breadcrumbs.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the edges have started to brown.
- Remove, slice and serve.