Makes 3-4 cups
Don’t you hate it when you check the ingredients on a bitchin’ looking toasted muesli and they’ve included honey? Hate no more, making your own is so easy and you can have it made in the time it takes to get to the supermarket and back. Plus you can add, sub or omit ingredients as you please to make your perfect breakfast combination. I’ll never buy muesli from the shops again!
- 1/3 cup sweetener syrup such as maple or agave
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup raw macadamia nuts
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup raw almonds
- 1/4 cup brazil nuts
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts
- 2 cups multigrain oats (or regular oats if you’d prefer)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- Preheat the oven to 160°C and line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Pop the maple syrup and coconut oil in a saucepan on medium heat to melt together, if you want it extra sweet, add 1/4 cup brown sugar. Take off the heat and set aside.
- Put all of the nuts in a bag under a tea towel and give it a whack with a rolling pin to slightly break apart the nuts. Some will remain whole, that’s fine.
- Chuck the nuts into bowl with the oats and seeds before pouring over the liquid mixture. Combine really well so that the dry ingredients are coated.
- Spread the mixture out onto the two baking trays evenly and bake in the oven for 30 minutes, tossing the mixture with tongs every 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before serving.