Makes about 200 depending on size
You might think Valentine’s Day is a lame excuse for big companies to rake it in and for sappy lovers to buy each other ugly red satin pillows but I actually think it’s kinda sweet. V Day is a good excuse to show your bitchin’ pals how much you care about them and if your bitchin’ pals are like mine, they like lollies. The dope thing about these guys is that you can personalise them however you want to and bring back my all time favourite candy heart slogan ‘Fax Me’, because that’s what people used to do in the olden days to ask people on dates.
If you’re wondering where to pick up a heart cutter in the right size, you’ll be surprised at what you find in the cooking section at Daiso!
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons glucose syrup
- 2 tablespoons agar agar powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups icing sugar
- Various flavours and colours
- Edible dye pen (optional: you can also use a fine brush and food colouring)
- In a mixing bowl, quickly whisk together the boiling water, syrup, salt and agar agar.
- Pour into the bowl of your electric mixture with paddle attachment and on medium-high speed start slowly adding 5 cups of the icing sugar. You’ll need to stop occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- The mixture will start to turn into a glossy, fondant-like substance.
- Sift some icing sugar onto a clean surface and knead the fondant until smooth.
- Separate into as many pieces as you have colours/flavours.
- Roll each piece into a ball and flatten a little. Add a couple of drops of colouring and a small amount of flavour. Knead until evenly distributed.
- Roll out to about .75mm thick and cut out with your cutter (if your cutter is bigger than an average candy heart, roll the fondant out thinner).
- You can roll over again to make the most out of your fondant.
- Repeat for the remaining colours and flavours.
- Lay the hearts out onto trays lined with baking paper and allow to air dry for a full 24 hours.
- Add your sayings and voila, you’re the world’s cutest Valentine!