Peri Peri sauce seems to be all the rage lately and since I have built up my chilli tolerance, I thought it was time I tried to make my own. The natural way to eat peri peri sauce seems to be atop a pizza with grilled tofu and vegetables so that’s what I made and it was fan-freakin-tastic. So much so that my meat-loving guests scoffed it down almost instantly!
- 1 pizza base
- 1/2 cup chillies, remove the stems (if you want a milder sauce, pick your chillies accordingly)
- 2 cloves garlic
- Handful of coriander
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise (optional, this just gives it a creamier texture and takes away some of the heat)
- 1 block high protein, firm tofu
- 1/4 cup tomato paste or pizza sauce
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 small capsicum, finely chopped
- 1 cup grated vegan cheese (I use a combination of Notzarella and Cheezly)
- Prepare your pizza base and preheat the oven to 200°C.
- To make the peri peri sauce, combine the chillies, garlic, coriander, olive oil and mayonnaise in a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Leave in the fridge until needed.
- Thinly slice the tofu and grill until golden on either side, set aside.
- Spread the pizza sauce over the base and sprinkle a little of the vegan cheese on the base.
- Lay out the tofu and sprinkle over the capsicum and red onion.
- Add the rest of the cheese and cook in the oven until the cheese has completely melted.
- Remove from the oven and squeeze over a swirl of peri peri sauce before serving.