Makes about 3L
I haven’t made a drink for a while and thought it was about time I quenched my thirst to do so. You might think I’m crazy for adding basil to a fruity concoction, but once you try it you’ll be all “I’m so sorry I doubted you, Chelsey! Will you ever forgive me?” I probably will forgive you, but perhaps make it first and we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it. If you’re feeling party, you could add some vodka to this one for your next occasion and it would go down a real treat.
- 2 1/2 cups blueberries (I used frozen but fresh are good too)
- 1 bunch basil
- 1 cup caster sugar
- Rind of one lime
- 2 cups water
- 3L carbonated water
- 4 limes
- Basil leaves
- 5 cups ice
- Chuck the bluebs, basil, sugar, lime rind and water into a saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally.
- Allow to simmer for 15 minutes before removing from the heat.
- Strain into jar and allow to cool completely.
- Pour the syrup into a large jug or drink dispenser.
- Cut the limes in half, squeeze in the juice then chuck the rest into the jug. Throw in the basil too as well as the ice.
- Add the carbonated water. If you want a stronger taste, add less than the 3L I have suggested, it would be a good idea to test as you go.
- Serve immediately and enjoy.