I really got a taste for buffalo sauce in the USA but sometimes I found it a little sour. As a result, I decided to embark on my own buffalo journey and make one that’s a little sweeter. I succeeded and decided to pour it over seitan chunks, bung em on skewers and serve with a light, tangy and creamy ranch.
- 1 cup gluten flour (vital wheat gluten)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cups water
- 3 vegetable stock cubes
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 brown onion, cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, very finely minced
- 1/3 cup hot sauce (I used Frank’s Hot Sauce but you could use Tabasco or similar)
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 3/4 cup vegan mayonnaise (I use King Land)
- 3 tablespoons soy milk
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon chopped dill
- Chuck all of the broth ingredients in a large pan and bring to the boil.
- Pop the dry seitan ingredients in a large bowl and combine the wet seitan ingredients in small bowl.
- Slowly add the wet seitan ingredients to the dry, stirring with a wooden spoon. Once the ingredients have combined, you’ll need to knead for a few minutes.
- Cut the lump of seitan into four even pieces. Flatten and stretch the pieces and allow to rest until the broth is boiling rapidly.
- Add the seitan chunks to the broth and lower to a simmer.
- Cook for 40 minutes with the lid half on.
- While the seitan is simmering, make your buffalo sauce by heating the olive oil in a pan, adding the garlic, hot sauce, tomato sauce, water, Worcestershire sauce, sugar and lemon.
- Mix the cornflour in a little water and add to the buffalo sauce. Bring the sauce to the boil before allowing to simmer as it thickens. Set aside.
- Remove the seitan from the pan and allow to rest while you make the ranch.
- To make the ranch, chuck all of the ingredients in a blender and process until combined.
- Slice the seitan pieces into 3cm x 3cm chunks and heat a little oil in a pan. Add the seitan chunks and pan fry for a few minutes before adding the buffalo sauce. Stir through for a minute and then remove from the heat.
- Thread three seitan chunks onto each skewer (I used short skewers but you can use longer skewers and add more seitan).
- Serve with the ranch and some celery.