Muesli bars were a pretty big part of my life growing up but I’d never really thought to make my own for a long time. The great thing about making your own is that you can really add whatever you like and omit the stuff you don’t. I’ll be posting some variations in the near future but for now, seeds and nuts are where it’s at.
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 3 cups oats
- 1/4 cup flax seeds
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup crushed peanuts
- 1/4 cup almonds (I bash them so they’re not entirely whole)
- Preheat oven to 180°C and grease a 19cm x 29cm pan.
- In a small saucepan, bring the maple syrup, brown sugar and coconut oil to the boil. Allow to simmer until the mixture thickens.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour the syrup mixture over the dry ingredients and mix well until all of the dry stuff is covered in syrup.
- Spread the mixture into the pan and press down firmly.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes until the top is nice and brown.
- Allow to cool completely before slicing and serving.