Makes 4 Big Ass Subs
Bet you thought your meatball sub days were behind you when you went vegan, huh? Well I hope you’re sitting down because these bean ball subs are going to change your life. Plus we’re kicking it up a notch with a super creamy, cheesy sauce – yeah, that’s right! The bean balls and sauces themselves are all soy and gluten free so pop these on some GF bread and there’s another gluten free meal to add to your repertoire.
- 1/2 recipe of my Bean Balls in Marinara Sauce
- 2 baguettes
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup cashews (soaked overnight)
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (not soy for soy free dudes, obvs)
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch of turmeric
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon corn flour
- Prepare your bean balls and marinara sauce as per the recipe.
- Cut the baguettes so you have 4 small subs, cut a opening in the top of each and stuff with baby spinach leaves.
- Make the cheesy sauce by blending the soaked cashews, non-dairy milk, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, turmeric, salt and pepper until smooth.
- Blend in corn flour before pouring into a saucepan.
- Bring to the boil, constantly stirring until thick. If the mixture becomes too thick, whisk through some more non-dairy milk until you get the consistency you want.
- Spoon the bean balls onto the subs with a little extra marinara and finish off with a generous serve of cheesy sauce.