I’ve been wanting to come up with a vegan rice crispy treat recipe for a while now and last weekend seemed like the perfect time to give it a crack. There are so many variations you can do with this recipe but for now I’ve kept it simple, with an optional dark chocolate drizzle to add some extra oomph. Once you realise how quick and easy these guys are to make, you’ll never by similar store-bought treats again!
- 4 cups popped rice cereal
- 2/3 cup glucose syrup
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup melted vegan chocolate (optional)
- Line a 20cm square baking tin with baking paper and pour the rice cereal into a large bowl.
- In a medium saucepan, mix together the glucose syrup, caster sugar and vegan margarine over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Once the mixture is bubbling, remove from the heat and mix in the vanilla extract.
- Pour over the rice cereal until it’s evenly coated and pour into the baking tin.
- Cover the tin with baking paper and press down firmly until the it’s even and packed tight.
- Allow to set until hard, at least an hour.
- Cut into 16 squares and drizzle with melted chocolate.