Cool air and grey skies are making way for warmer weather and sunshine but I’m still hanging onto winter for dear life with this dish. It’s a great meal for a several reasons; it takes less than 30 minutes to make, you should have all of these ingredients already, it’s a cheap meal to throw together, it’s hearty and healthy all the while tasting bloody delicious. Team this up with my excellent cornbread recipe and you’ve got yourself a spot on meal, whether Mother Nature wants to accept it or not.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 small brown onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 small chilli, finely chopped (deseeded if you want less heat. Omit altogether for a super mild chilli)
- 1 red capsicum, chopped
- 1 can kidney beans, drained
- 1 can brown lentils, drained
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Vegan sour cream and parsley to serve (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan.
- Add the onion and garlic, once the onion has started to go translucent, add the cumin, thyme, cinnamon, paprika, chilli and capsicum.
- Cook for a few minutes before throwing in the kidney beans, lentils and diced tomatoes.
- Stir through the tomato paste, liquid smoke and brown sugar.
- Bring to the boil and cook for 5-10 minutes before allowing to simmer for a further 10-15 minutes.
- Once your chilli looks thick and rich, it’s ready to serve with a dollop of vegan sour cream and some fresh parsley.