Party season is upon us which can sometimes mean a tricky time for us vegans. Will we be catered for? Should we eat before we go or take something along? I’m here to tell you that you should take something along, this thing! My lentil & walnut rolls are a taste sensation wrapped in pastry, plus you can have them cooked in under an hour.
- 2 1/2 sheets puff pastry (or equivalent homemade pastry)
- 2 1/2 cups cooked brown lentils (or canned)
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Spray oil
- Sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a food processor, combine the lentils, walnuts, onion, garlic, tomato paste, barbecue sauce, liquid smoke, salt and pepper until well blended.
- Cut the sheets of pastry and place a log of the mixture along the middle of each piece, lengthways.
- Roll up each piece and cut into 4 equal pieces before placing on the baking tray.
- Spray with oil and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Cook for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve hot.