Christmas is just around the corner so I thought it was time I got cracking on some Christmas recipes. First cab off the rank is a treat so damned delicious that you’ll want to eat it all year round! Light and fluffy peppermint marshmallow, dipped in chocolate and sprinkled with crushed candy canes. Doesn’t get any more freakin’ festive than that, right?
These guys are gluten and soy free if you choose the right chocolate and candy canes too!
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon agar agar powder
- 1 cup glucose syrup
- 2 1/4 cups caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon peppermint essence
- 300grams vegan dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup crushed vegan candy canes (I used Coles brand)
- Prepare a standard loaf tin by sifting half of the icing sugar into the base.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the water and agar agar powder over a low heat.
- When the agar agar has dissolved, add the glucose syrup and caster sugar. Stir constantly over a medium-high heat until it begins to boil.
- Once boiling, immediately pour the mixture into the bowl of your electric mixture. Mix on high for 10-15 minutes, or until the mixture resembles beaten egg whites. Add the peppermint essence and continue to mix for a minute.
- Very quickly pour the mixture into the loaf tin and sift the remaining icing sugar on top. Allow to set for a few hours.
- Once set, gently tip out of the tin and cut into 24 even squares.
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- Melt the chocolate and dip each marshmallow in, making sure it’s covered and place onto the baking tray. Sprinkle the crushed candy cane on top and place in the fridge to set.
- Once set, serve immediately.