Sometimes you just gotta treat yoself to a big ol’ bowl of comfort food. The best thing about my cheesy jalapeño potatoes is that they’re not even that bad as far as comfort food goes; the potatoes are baked and the cheesy sauce is nut-based, plus they’ve got jalapeños which are totally a vegetable. They’re gluten and soy free too so just about anybody can tuck into this dish, which is great on its own or as a side (I had mine with hotdogs last night!)
- 4 large potatoes, washed
- Olive oil
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (soy works best but use whatever you want)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup jalapeños (I just used the ones in the jar)
- Preheat oven to 200°C and line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Par boil your potatoes before slicing into chunky wedges and laying out on the baking trays.
- Drizzle or spray with olive oil and allow to cook for 30 minutes, or until crispy and brown.
- Chuck the cashews, non-dairy milk, nutritional yeast, turmeric, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and 1/4 cup jalapeños into a blender and whizz up until super smooth.
- Pour into a saucepan and over medium heat, stir until thickened. If you want it even thicker, you can add a little corn flour at this point.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and sprinkle with salt.
- Serve with a drizzle of cheesy jalapeño sauce and a few extra jalapeños.