Donuts have been popping up on my Instagram feed all day, erryday for some time now and I thought it was about time I got back into making them. This recipe is epic because it’s yeast free, which means it needs no time to rise and you don’t need to roll out the dough. Fill these little balls of happiness with homemade lemon custard and you’ve got yourself quite the treat. Time to make the people in your feed jealous and make some of this bad boys.
- 1L vegetable oil for frying
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
Lemon Custard Filling
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1/4 cup cornflour
- 500mL soy milk
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Fill a small saucepan with vegetable oil and allow to heat up on medium-high heat.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and baking soda before adding the salt and 1/4 cup caster sugar.
- Slowly add the soy milk and oil. Mix well until a dough is formed.
- Knead for a couple of minutes, just until you have a nice ball of dough to work with.
- Separate the dough and roll into balls a little bigger than a golf ball.
- Drop a few balls at a time into the oil and allow to cook until golden brown on the outside. Drain and roll in the remaining caster sugar.
- While the donuts are cooling, make the custard by adding the caster sugar to a small saucepan before sifting in the flour and cornflour.
- Add the soy milk, lemon juice and vanilla and whisk continually over a high heat until the mixture thickens.
- Set aside to cool for about 10 minutes before using a piping bag with filling nozzle to inject the donuts with lemon custard filling.