Difficulty: Easy – Medium
How long has it been since you’ve had a breakfast muffin, huh? If your answer was “AGES!” you’ll be super pumped for this recipe; if your answer was “I had one yesterday!” you’ll probably still really enjoy this recipe. My Breakfast muffin has tempeh bacon and tomato plus a super fun eggy tofu element which I think you’ll dig. Serve it up with a couple of hash browns and you’ve got yourself a winning start to the day.
- 150g tempeh
- 1/4 soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 350g block of high protein, firm tofu
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1-2 teaspoons black salt (get this from your local Indian grocer)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 English muffins
- 4 tablespoons BBQ sauce
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Thinly slice the tempeh into strips (no more than 5mm thick) and place in a container with an airtight lid.
- Mix together the soy sauce, vegan Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke and maple syrup and pour over the tempeh. Secure the lid and place in the fridge, giving a gentle shake every now and again.
- Cut the block of tofu into four large squares (like a square burger patty) and gently press each one between paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- Add the nutritional yeast, black salt (start with one teaspoon and build up if needed) and garlic powder to a shallow dish and combine. Coat each piece of tofu bu pressing into the mixture on all sides. Set aside.
- Preheat your grill to very low and heat a little olive oil in a frypan on high. Add the tempeh and cook until dark on both sides before placing under the grill to keep warm.
- Add more oil to the frypan and add the eggy tofu, cook on both sides until golden. Sprinkle with a little more black salt if you’d prefer.
- Squeeze some BBQ sauce onto the bottom half of each English muffin before adding the eggy tofu, tempeh bacon and tomato. Serve immediately.