The way to any vegan’s heart is through their stomach and there’s nothin’ better than a homemade Valentine’s Day gift, especially if it’s edible. These bad boys will make babe swoon with their light marshmallowy centre dipped in dark chocolate.
Really tho, where’s my Valentine at?
- 1/3 cup corn flour
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon agar agar powder
- 1/2 cup glucose syrup
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon rosewater
- 2-3 drops pink food colouring (make sure it’s vegan)
- 300g dark chocolate
- In a medium sized saucepan, gently whisk together the water and agar agar powder over low heat until the powder dissolves.
- Crank the heat up to medium-high before adding the glucose syrup and caster sugar while continuing to stir constantly.
- Once the mixture starts to boil, immediately and gently pour the mixture into the bowl of your electric mixer and slowly bring the speed to maximum.
- While the mixer is going, sift half of the cornflour onto the bottom of a 30cmx20cm glass baking dish to prevent sticking.
- After about 8-10 minutes the mixture should start to go white. Add the vanilla, rosewater and pink colouring.
- Continue to mix for another 5 minutes or so until the mixture is quite thick.
- Carefully pour the mixture into the glass baking dish, smooth out on top and tap gently on the bench to remove any excess air bubbles.
- Allow to cool for about an hour before sifting more cornflour on top. After another hour the marshmallow should be set completely.
- Using a small heart-shaped cutter, gently cut out marshmallow hearts and place on baking paper.
- Melt chocolate (temper it if you can be bothered/know how but I didn’t this time) and carefully dip each heart into it to coat.
- Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper and repeat with the remaining hearts.
- Allow to set completely in the fridge before serving.