Oh yes, did you feel that Autumn breeze a-blowin’ over the weekend? Cooler weather is on its way and I couldn’t be happier, winter is my jam! Nothing says comfort food like a creamy pasta bake; it’s packed with carbs but with the creamth (made that up) coming from tofu and cashews plus the addition of kale, you don’t need to feel too guilty about this quick and easy meal.
- 500g spiral pasta
- 1 bunch kale, roughly chopped
- 1/4 + 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Juice of one lemon
- 300g silken tofu
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 3/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon mixed herbs
- Salt and pepper
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped (discard the stalks)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 200°C and grease a large baking dish.
- Prepare the pasta as per packet instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, massage the kale in a large bowl with the lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of olive oil until the leaves start to soften. Set aside.
- Add the remaining olive oil, silken tofu, cashews, non-dairy milk, vegan Worcestershire sauce, mixed herbs and salt and pepper to a blender. Process on high until very smooth and creamy.
- Your pasta should now be cooked, allow to drain and carefully dry the saucepan.
- Add a little olive oil to the saucepan and on high heat brown the onion and garlic before adding the massaged kale.
- Cook for a few minutes and remove from the heat, now add the pasta.
- Pour in the creamy sauce and mix through until well distrubuted.
- Add the pasta to the baking dish and evenly press down so the top is even. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and a little extra salt.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until brown on top. Serve immediately.