If you’re not really down with religion, Easter is pretty much an excuse to have a mega long weekend and stuff your face full of delicious things that you’ve probs been eating since they hit stores in January (admit it). I decided to flip the script on one of those delicious things, the hot cross bun, by harnessing the delicious spiced flavours and bundling them up in a bliss ball type situation. Because they’re raw, gluten free and refined sugar free, it’s the perfect excuse to eat even more of ’em!
- 10 medjool dates (pitted)
- 1/4 cup raw almonds
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup Brazil nuts
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon all spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sultanas or raisins
- Chuck the dates, almonds, cashews, Brazil nuts, almond meal, 1/4 cup of the coconut and spices into your blender and process until completely smooth and soft.
- Roll 2 tablespoons of mixture into a firm ball, stuffing in a few sultanas as you go. Repeat the process until you have used up all of the mixture to make 10 shiny balls.
- Now the tricky part. Cut a piece of foil and fold it over a few times until you have a 3cm(ish) wide piece of foil, the length doesn’t really matter as long as it’s enough to wrap around each ball.
- Within that strip of foil, cut out a smaller .5cm strip. You will use this piece of foil as a stencil for the crosses!
- Carefully press the strip around the ball and carefully press some desiccated coconut in the .5cm section. Gently remove and press back down so the strip intersects with the strip of coconut you just made. Again, press the coconut into the strip and gently remove, you now have a cross!
- Keep these guys as cool as you can, preferably in the fridge until serving.