I’ll admit it, I’m one of those people who sometimes sees that something is described as healthy and go “nup, that’ll taste like shit”. Sometimes I am wrong and if you’ve already assumed from the title that these don’t taste good, you’re wrong too! Somehow with only 7 ingredients (none of which are oil or wheat-based) these bad boys are delicious and full of flayvah.
For a crispier cracker, get them as flat as you can before baking (highly recommended!)
Go on and make ’em, I dare ya!
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 3/4 cup raw almonds
- 2/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons dried mixed herbs
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper and preheat your oven to 160°c
- In a jug, whisk together the water and chia seeds. Set aside.
- Using a food processor, blend the almonds for a few seconds to give them a head start.
- Add the sunflower seeds, mixed herbs, nutritional yeast and 1 teaspoon of the salt.
- Pulse a few times before adding the chia mixture.
- Blend for 10 seconds – the mixture should hold together nicely when pressed in your hands.
- Tip the mixture out onto the lined baking sheet and press firmly. You want the the thickness to be about 5mm, try to keep it in a big rectangle.
- Sprinkle the remaining salt on top and pop the baking sheet in the oven for 45 minutes (but check regularly to make sure they’re not burning).
- Once the edges are golden brown, remove the tray from the oven and using a sharp knife, carefully slice into squares (whatever size you like) while still on the tray.
- Allow to cool completely on the tray before eating. Store in an airtight container (if you manage not to eat them all in one sitting.)