Choc chip cookies are indisputably the ultimate cookie you can get your greasy little mitts on but man, I love an oat cookie too. So I’ve done something bold, wild and crazy – I’ve combined oats and choc chips to create a super cookie that even my gluten free peeps can ram into their gobs. I’m sweet like that.
Note: You gotta use GF oats if you’re making these intentionally GF (otherwise plain ol’ oats will do!) Its also worth noting that those with severe intolerance to gluten sometimes can’t handle GF oats either – worth noting, I don’t want your friends to hate ya!
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup vegan margarine
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (loosely packed)
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups GF rolled oats (regular oats are fine if you don’t care about the GF factor)
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 180°c and line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- In a small bowl, mix together the chia and water before setting aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the margarine, brown sugar, caster sugar and vanilla extract before folding in the chia mixture.
- Mix in the rolled oats and desiccated coconut and mix until well combined before folding in the chocolate chips.
- Place in the fridge for 15 minutes to firm up the dough.
- Roll a tablespoon of dough into a ball and space out on the baking tray, at least 5cm apart.
- Gently pressed down with the back of a spoon and add a couple of extra chocolate chips.
- Bake for 30 minutes before removing from the oven and allowing to cool completely on the tray.