Hello, do you like making deceptively easy meals to impress your friends? Or even just to prove to yourself that you’re a badass vegan cook? Well then, I think I have found your holy grail! My Miso Ramen w/ Vegan Egg + Fried Tempeh is really all you need to make for an impressive dinner party but simple enough to whip up during the week. Feel free to mix up the toppings as you wish – that’s the funnest part!
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon miso paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 300g tempeh
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons miso paste
- 2L chicken-style or vegetable stock
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3cm cube of ginger, sliced
- 100g enoki mushrooms
- 400g fresh wheat noodles (dry will be ok)
- 1 nori sheet, cut into 9 even rectangles
- Fresh spring onion
- Fried shallots
- 4 x Vegan Boiled Egg (get the recipe here)
- Make the Vegan Boiled Egg and have it ready in the fridge.
- Whisk together the soy sauce, miso and brown sugar to make a marinade for the tempeh.
- Slice the tempeh into 1cm strips and pop in an airtight container with the marinade. Place in the fridge.
- Prepare the broth by whisking together the soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and miso paste.
- Add the mixture to a large saucepan with the stock, garlic and ginger.
- Bring to the boil before reducing for a simmer. Leave the lid on and allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
- 10 minutes before the broth is ready, add the enoki mushrooms to the broth.
- Fill another sauce pan with water, bring to the boil and add the noodles. Cook until tender.
- Heat the olive oil in a small frying pan before adding the tempeh slices and cooking to a deep brown on both sides.
- Divide the noodles into two bowls before using a ladle to add the broth to each bowl.
- Add the enoki mushrooms, Vegan Boiled Egg and tempeh nicely spaced out on top of the noodles.
- Finish off with nori sheets, spring onion, chilli and fried shallots before serving immediately.