I usually preface my soup posts with something like “hey, I don’t usually like soup but…” however I think it’s becoming apparent that I actually do quite dig some soups! This Split Pea + Smoky Tempeh Soup is the perf vegan take on a winter classic, quick and easy to get you through the colder months.
- 300 grams tempeh
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 cups green split peas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 litres chicken-style or vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Coconut cream and thyme to serve
- Roughly chop the tempeh into chunks and pop into a small container with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, soy sauce, agave, liquid smoke and garlic. Add the lid, shake and set aside.
- Rinse the split peas thoroughly and set aside before adding 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a stock pot.
- On high heat, sauté the red onion and garlic before adding the peas and stock. Mix well.
- Bring to the boil while stirring and then reduce to a simmer. Stir occasionally for the next hour until the soup is very thick and then add the salt and pepper to your liking.
- Allow the soup to continue cooking while you prepare the Smoky Tempeh by first draining off the marinade.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a frypan on high heat and then add the tempeh.
- Cook on a high heat until the tempeh starts to get really dark and remove from the heat.
- Mix 3/4 of the tempeh into the soup mix before serving out into bowls.
- Add a drizzle of coconut cream, a few bits of Smoky Tempeh and some thyme.
- Serve immediately.