I make really good pies, there’s no denying it. This was another of my brother’s birthday dishes but it is perfect to add to the weekly dinner menu. Although they are party pies, they aren’t tiny and served with a good side dish they make a great meal. The rich filling is complimented by the flaky pastry casing and I reckon you could fool a meat-eater with this baby.
- 3 sheets of vegan puff pastry (feel free to make your own if you’d like), each sheet cut into 4
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 packet beef style chunks, cut into smaller pieces
- 2 cups vegan gravy (some Gravox varieties are vegan)
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 beef style stock cubes
- Grease a Texas muffin pan and preheat the oven to 180°C.
- In a frypan, fry the onion, garlic and beef style chunks before adding the gravy, barbecue sauce and stock cubes. Combine well and allow to heat through.
- Line the the muffin pan with squares of pastry as evenly as possible.
- Spoon the filling into the pan before covering with the pastry, rolling the edges up.
- Spray with oil and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes or until golden.