Serves 4 (as a side dish)
Another soul food inspired dish coming right up! Candied yams are basically sweet potatoes baked in a sweet, sticky sauce. Not one for the diet conscious but definitely one for the taste conscious, these little babies are the perfect side dish to a delightful winter meal.
- 1 very large sweet potato (the biggest you can find), peeled
- 1/2 cup Nuttelex
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Cube the sweet potato before boiling in a saucepan until about three quarters of the way cooked.
- In a bowl, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Melt the Nuttelex in a saucepan before adding the sugar mixture and vanilla.
- Drain the sweet potato and transfer to a baking dish before pouring the sugar mixture over the top. Be sure to coat the sweet potato evenly.
- Bake until sweet potato is completely cooked and sauce has darkened.
- Serve with your favourite soul food.