It’s an Aussie classic, but until now vegans have had to forgo the steak sanga. I recently picked myself up some Viana Cowgirl Steaks and I’ll tell you what, they’re a bloody winner! More than just a lump of “meat” slapped on a piece of crappy bread, this combination of ingredients makes for a vegan taste explosion. I served mine with roasted chats and shallots for a delightful winter meal.
- 1 tablespoon Nuttelex
- 1 red onion
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 loaf sourdough
- Viana steaks (You can use 4 whole ones or cut make 4 thinner steaks from 2)
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves and rocket
- 1/2 block Vegusto cheese (or another vegan cheese of your liking)
- 4 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- To make the caramelised onion, thinly slice the red onion while melting the Nuttelex in a saucepan.
- Once melted, add the onion, salt and sugar and stir constantly, lowering the heat as it begins to go translucent.
- Ones onions are completely cooked through, set aside.
- Place the steaks under the grill until cooked through.
- Slice your sourdough and toast lightly and thinly slice the Vegusto.
- Build your sandwich starting with a handful of greens, a layer of onion, barbecue sauce, followed by the Vegusto, and “steak”.
- Serve warm and enjoy!