Salads are a staple of the Australian Christmas so this year I decided to make two. If you’ve been paying attention you would know that this is the second festive salad on the menu for this year and if you haven’t, check out my bitchin’ Jewel Salad. Back to this dish, I have decided to keep it super simple; a bit of rocket, a bit of pear and topped off with some fancy candied walnuts. You can prepare the walnuts in advance and then just throw the rest together moments before your guests arrive.
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 1/4 cups walnuts
- 2-3 large handfuls rocket
- 2-3 pears
- Lemon infused olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Lightly roast the walnuts, remove and allow to cool.
- On medium heat, constantly stir the sugar in a saucepan. As the sugar begins to melt, add the vanilla.
- When the sugar has melted and becomes light amber, throw in the walnuts and work quickly to coat them all.
- Tip the nuts back onto the baking paper and use a fork to separate them. Allow to cool and set.
- Pop the rocket on your serving plate. Thinly slice the pears and lay them on the rocket.
- Drizzle with the lemon oil, scatter with the candied walnuts and serve.