Makes 2 rolls
I’m trying to cut down on carbs as a part of my health kick but sometimes you just gotta have sushi. I prefer brown rice to white rice anyhow, so it’s a much healthier decision for this dish. The tempeh is grilled to make it super crispy without the need for frying while the cucumber and avocado add different textures to the filling. I don’t use a sushi mat for rolling but feel free to do so if that’s your bag.
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1/3 packet tempeh
- 2 nori sheets
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 small cucumber, julienned
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Soy sauce, wasabi and pickled ginger to serve
- Mix the rice wine vinegar with the brown rice and allow to cool completely in the fridge.
- Slice the tempeh into very thin, 5mm strips and grill on a medium-high setting until crispy. Set aside to cool.
- Spread the brown rice evenly over each sheet of nori, leaving about 1cm at the top and bottom of the sheet clear.
- Lay the tempeh, cucumber and avocado along the sheet about 5cm up from the bottom before sprinkling with sesame seeds.
- Gently, tightly and slowly roll your sushi from the bottom to the top. Wet the top edge with water and press down to seal the roll.
- Slice and serve immediately with the soy sauce, wasabi and pickled ginger.