G’Day! Vegemite is one of our staples in Australia and in celebration of Australia Day, I’ve made a batch of Vegemite and cream cheese filled pretzels to take along to a barbecue this afternoon. If you’re one of those people who don’t like Vegemite, I don’t understand you but you can always leave it out and have the cream cheese filling instead.
- 7 grams dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 3 cups plain flour
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1/4 cup vegemite
- 1/4 cup vegan cream cheese
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons bi-carb soda
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine
- Rock salt
- Combine the yeast, sugar, salt, nutritional yeast and the first lot of warm water. Mix until the yeast dissolves.
- Sift in the flours and combine well.
- Tip onto a lightly floured surface and knead into a nice ball of dough.
- Spray some oil in a large glass bowl, roll the dough around in it before covering in cling wrap and allowing to rise for one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 230°C and line two baking trays with baking paper.
- In a shallow container, combine the rest of the warm water and the bi-carb soda.
- Once the dough has risen, tip onto a lightly floured surface and knead into a nice ball before separating into 16 evenly sized balls.
- Flatten out each ball into a flat oval and down the centre, spread a strip of Vegemite and a strip of cream cheese. fold the oval in half and pinch the edges to seal the filling.
- Gently roll out into a long round sausage shape (about 15-20 cm).
- Twist into a pretzel shape (you can learn this easily by watching a YouTube video) and dunk in the bi-carb bath before placing on the baking tray.
- Allow to rise on the tray for 10 minutes before baking for 7-10 minutes or until golden.
- Melt the vegan margarine and remove the pretzels from the oven. Brush the margarine liberally over the pretzels and grind sea salt over the top of each one.
- Eat warm or allow to cool before serving.