Difficulty: Easy – Medium
My brother was recently told not to eat soy so I’ve been trying to make tasty and satisfying meals without relying on tofu and soy-based mock meats. It can be tricky but I’ve managed to come up with a few bloody good recipes; this Lentil Bolognese is one of them and will be added to my rotation.
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 cups cooked lentils
- 1 800gram can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup vegan beef style stock (or vegetable)
- 2 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce (make sure it’s soy free too)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried mixed herbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 500gram packet spaghetti
- Fresh basil to serve
- In a large pan, sauté the garlic and onion in a little olive oil.
- Add the carrot and lentils before throwing in the diced tomatoes, stock, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, mixed herbs, salt and pepper.
- Bring the mixture to the boil, stirring occasionally before reducing to a simmer. The sauce will need to thicken over 20-30 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering, cook your spaghetti according to the packet instructions. Drain and set aside.
- When the sauce is ready, serve on top of the spaghetti with some fresh basil.